Rolling Tires

It started a little over a month ago when I had to get my car tires aligned. As my car was being worked on, I killed 30 minutes worth of time walking around the industrial park with my son and came across this goldmine:
a dumpster full of used and abandoned tires 

Mentally, I started mapping out some math application(s) for the tires and figured Spring Break would be a prime opportunity to record a 3Act lesson for my geometry class. I'm proudly addicted to Dan Meyer's 3 Act lesson format. I can only hope I'm doing it justice. After trial and error, self reflection, and feedback from both students and online colleagues I'm starting to see the strength in 3 Act lessons, if done correctly. It requires planning, objectives, patience, and of course... time.

Have an objective, a lesson in mind, a real-world example, (maybe use a word problem from a textbook to jumpstart your direction), start training your eye to always look for lessons you can bring to your students...

Make sure it's measurable: Yes, it's fun to throw a picture at students and ask them, "What's the first question that comes to mind?" Both you and your students might agree on the same perplexing question, but if there isn't measurable data or a realistic solution, your media might simply reduce to a fun picture you both were perplexed by, predicted an answer to, and discussed a path to the solution. That fact alone might be valuable enough without the actual construction and implementation of a class activity/lesson.
This Lego pic I snapped is a great example of something difficult to measure: it might open up a discussion, students might make a prediction, but measuring it would be very difficult because of the numerous variables. However, something like my JUMBO and mini stop sign staging is very measurable and a lesson can be constructed beyond the discussion and prediction arena. Therefore, with Rolling Tires, I made sure everything was measurable before pressing record.

Act 1: A video of me rolling a tire (a friend was disappointed it wasn't a supermodel in a bikini). What's the first question that comes to mind? Hitting the initial mark during Act 1 is imperative to the overall success of the lesson.


Act 2: A keynote and/or video to reveal information my students might find necessary to solve the question agreed upon.

Act 3: The video payoff to see how the calculated (theoretical) answers compare to the actual (practical) results.

Please feel free to download and use all three videos. Give me some feedback. Ask me some questions. The necessary information is included in Act 2. I thought, great an actual way to apply circumference. I will try to post any handouts or graphic organizers used. Lastly, if time permits I might make a sequel to include a couple different scenarios.

Possible Sequel: I heard a long time ago that some taxi drivers put smaller wheels on their cabs so the car tires would produce more revolutions, yielding a higher cab fare. Check the tires of that cab before you get in it.

Best,
930