Woody's Raise

We decided to get Netflix recently and I was excited to see that Cheers episodes are available. I occasionally put an episode on in the background while I get work done. I came across this episode that literally snuck in some math (money, raises, time, rate) right before the end of the episode. Sam Malone, the owner of the bar in the tie (played by Ted Danson), is talking with Woody Boyd, a bartender (played by Woody Harrelson), about a raise. Roll Act 1:


After consulting with my man, Nathan Kraft, I bleeped out a part of Woody's last line. The two of us discussed the tendency a bleep can have in implying some profanity was removed. So if this lesson goes horribly wrong, blame Nathan! All those toothpicks finally caught up with him. Here's how the exchange goes between Sam and Woody:
Sam: We were talking about your 50 dollar a month raise.
Woody: Sam, it was a hundred a month.
Sam is caught for trying to pull a fast one on Woody. Woody appears to let it slide, but something occurred to Woody. He turns to Sam and the exchange continues:
Woody: I think a hundred a month is too steep. I'll settle for [BLEEP] a week. 
Sam (without blinking): You got it!
I anticipate students noticing that the amount was bleeped out and wondering what was bleeped. I anticipate students not sure if Woody said, "[BLEEP] a week" or something inaudible? I anticipate students noticing that the studio crowd laughs while wondering if Sam was just made a fool by Woody. I would love to first have a leisurely conversation with students about who they think just got the better deal in this exchange, Sam or Woody? Or was there even a better deal to be had? If you've ever watched an episode of Cheers, you know that neither character has a strong IQ. If anything, Woody is portrayed as a real naive, gullible, and takes-you-at-face-value type of character. Sam is about a handful of points above Woody. So what about Act 2 after you take some guesses from the class on who just got the better deal from this exchange?

This might be the first 3 Act lesson in which I don't have any additional information for Act 2. In all fairness, this might not fit my previous rant on measurable acts, but I think the 8 Standards for Mathematical Practice are rubbing off on me (in a good way), especially Practice 4: Model with Mathematics.

I posted the Woody's Raise lesson on 101qs.com with very little in Act 2 because I'd love to know where the teacher would take this with his/her class. This type of teacher discretion can't be packaged in an online portal or catalog of video instruction. Here's what I threw out there for Act 2 (the first edition):

At what "raise" amount per week would Woody "settle" for the:
  1. Better deal
  2. Equivalent deal
  3. Worse deal
I have many questions when thinking about Act 2. Here's a few:
Over time, when does Sam or Woody begin to benefit or suffer from this deal, compared to the $100 raise per month?
Do all months have exactly four weeks? Does that matter or should we use 52 weeks in a year?
How would you anticipate students representing Woody's better deal versus the worse deal?
What would this look like graphically?
What would this look like organized in a table?
What equations could you anticipate students writing? If any?
How does this deal apply to Woody's hourly rate?
In what classroom could you talk about the tips Woody might make? Remember this takes place in a bar. Middle school students? High school students? College? A workshop with teachers? I think there's a lot of fun to be had with this video clip. Let's Roll Act 3 and see what Woody would "settle" for instead of the $100 a month raise:


I'm posting this lesson because I'm thinking out loud. More importantly, I'm curious what you would do in between Act 1 and Act 3 with your students. How would it be different in an elementary classroom? Middle school classroom? High school classroom? Teacher workshop? What would your Act 2 be? Where would you take this lesson with your students? I believe this is a multi-dimensional lesson that can take on some great mathematics. Bleeping out that weekly rate in Act 1 really opens up Act 2 for some rich mathematical discussions and modeling. Toss your Act 2 in the comments. Thanks!

Cheers,
1026